Homework

Welcome to 2020 Homework!!

Ok, it’s time to get cracking again on some Homework!!

Term 3, Week 6, Friday 14th – Friday 21st August

1. Please finish your Information Text. This includes proofreading and editing. I want to prepare some copies for others to proofread for you as well, so please email yours to me when you think you are finished.
  2. Equivalent fractions. To help us when we create our set of EQUIVALENT FRACTIONS DOMINOES TILES, please follow up from the work we’ve done in class and complete the worksheets below.

Equivalent fractions

Term 1, Week 9 Homework (Friday 20th March – Friday 27th March)

As we’re getting near the end of Term 1, I thought this would be the perfect time to step up our Homework.

Click on the link below to access two pages of Maths Mentals activities. Please try to answer as many questions as you can on both pages.

Week 9 Maths Mentals Homework

****** When you’ve completed that you should be able to click “the box with the up arrow” and save it to One Note. If you have any issues we can look at it on Monday. ******

But wait, there’s more!! Have a look back at the Maths activity “Checkmate!” on the blog.

Do you remember that tricky Question 1 in the Investigation section?  How many squares are there altogether? Give it a go. See if you can come up with a method that helps you to answer that question.

I’m going to try it too, because I have absolutely no idea what the answer is!!

English (writing)

If my memory is correct, we’ve started five different writing activities over the past two weeks….

We’ve written about:

• an Extreme Adventure
  • Second-time Cinderella
  • The Green Chair
  • Around the bend
  • The Box
  • ………… (is there something else that I’ve forgotten?)

Select any one of those stories that you are to expand (make bigger) and improve (make better). What else can you add? Does your story have a beginning, a middle and an end? Is there an orientation, a complication, a resolution and an ending? Remember to proofread (search for typos, spelling mistakes, punctuation, capital letters, full stops, etc) and edit (fix up any errors that you’ve spotted). Publish a good copy as a Word document.

And finally, have a great weekend.

Term 1, Week 8 Homework (Friday 13th – Friday 20th March)

Click on the link below to access this week’s homework, it’s a review of some Maths Mentals activities. I’ll also give you hard copies of this on Monday. You’re welcome!!

Homework Week 8

Term 1, Week 5 Homework, (Friday 28th February – Friday 6th March)

Does this look familiar? Have a go, they are all addition problems.

You will need to answer each clue, write the answers in the correct spaces and then double check that your answer matches with any other answers that it ‘crosses’. If you can’t print it or if you don’t have any grid paper at home, I’ll give you some! Easy!

Have a great weekend. Remember the Swimming Carnival on Monday!!

Term 1, Week 4 Homework (Friday 21st February – Friday 28th February)

“Endangered Animals”

Endangered Animals

I’ve given you a hard copy of this. Most of the answers can be written straight onto the pages, there are spaces for you to write in. If you need extra space (for example, you might need some extra space to write the meaning of ‘nocturnal’ in the ‘Using Your Dictionary’ section) then use the spare page at the back.

Have a great weekend.

Term 1, Week 4 Homework (Friday 14th February – Friday 21st February)

In class this whis week we are going to be investigating some of the animals that featured in Justin D’ath’s Extreme Adventure ‘Spider Bite’. We are all going to be working towards developing an Information Report about one of these amazing creatures. We’ve had a look at some Information Reports about Leafy Sea Dragons and Humboldt Penguins. Your Homework is to read the following Information Report (page 14) about The Polar Bear, so that you are able to join in the conversation in class when we complete the ‘Activity – Species Snapshot’ (page 15) that follows. You’ll see a couple of websites in the ‘Check Out’ section, they’re worth exploring to help you to get some more information.

The Polar Bear

Perhaps you could also start thinking about which animal you are going to research for your own Information Report. You will get to choose from ……..

• Sydney Funnel-web spiders
  • Kodiak bears
  • African lions
  • Rhinoceros 
  • Komodo dragons
  • Poison arrow frogs

It could also be a great idea to work some more on your script for introducing your Buddy. Do you know which day you are presenting? Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday? It’s all on the ‘Welcome’ page of this Blog if you can’t remember. We’ll be proofreading and editing all of the scripts on Monday. 

Thanks for a great week and have a lovely weekend,

Mr Crawford.

Term 1, Week 3 Homework (Friday 7th February – due Friday 14th February)

Spider Bite, the adventure continues!!

Your homework for this week is to continue to picture the dramatic events that Sam and Jordie have encountered during the middle part of the story:

• One space is for avoiding the Jumbo Jet …..
  • One space is for crash landing in the zoo …..
  • One space is for a mini project about Kodiak Bears …..
  • One space is for a mini project about the Komodo Dragon …..

Term 1, Week 2 Homework (Friday 31st January – due Friday 7th February) 

Your homework for this week is to begin to create a picture of the setting, characters and events that are featured in the first few chapters of ‘Spider Bite’ by Justin D’Ath.

• One space is for a drawing of the boys walking Myrtle at the park …..
  • One space is for a drawing of the hot air balloon crashing into the trees …..
  • One space is for a mini project about Newfoundlander dogs …..
  • One space is for a mini project about the Sydney funnel-web spider …..

I know this is Homework but it would be great if you could also bring this to school every day, so that we can add some information to it as we carry on reading the story.

• In Year 5 you should also be reading for 15 – 30 minutes EVERY NIGHT!!
  • Please bring something to read during our quiet reading times. It can be something you’re reading at home, something from our library, a novel, a magazine about a sport, an information text………………..
  • Our Library borrowing and returning will happen on a Thursday. Do you have a Library bag? We’ll start borrowing from next week.

• iPad expectations.

Here are our class expectations for using your iPad: 

• Always bring them to school fully charged.
  • They may be used inside our classroom after you are set up for your morning’s work, i.e. your Maths Mentals is on your desk, you have a pencil case ready, you have checked the whiteboard to see if you need anything else out.
  • Only use them as directed by a teacher. They are for school use.
  • Don’t take photographs of anyone.
  • When they’re not being used they go in the tidy box near the front door.
  • They are zipped up in your bag before you leave the classroom in the afternoon.
  • Don’t add any apps, including iTunes.

As part of your Homework this week, please have a conversation with your parents to set the expectations for using your iPad at home. Once you have agreed the expectations with your parents, type up a copy of your ‘home expectations’.

Thanks for a fantastic first week. Have a great weekend everyone.

2019, Term 4 Week 4

Science Homework.

We would love you to read this and have a look at the questions on the second page (page 76).

This will help you to be prepared for Monday’s Science lesson.

How are shadows made?

Term 3 Week 8, 30/8/19 – 6/9/19

Moon Missions

Term 2

I hope the first few weeks of Term 2 Homework has worked well for you. I’ve decided to have a trial of sending it out as hard copies using recycled exercise books and paper. 

Week 4, AKA NAPLAN Week.

The Homework this week is on ‘Teams’, it’s the ‘Games from other cultures’ task. If you can’t remember what to do, go back in to Teams – Assignments – Health Education. I’m really looking forward to playing your games. Remember that the information report is due to be completed before Friday morning and we can then look at setting up a roster for playing the games.

Hi everyone!! Welcome to our Homework Page for Term 1 2019!!

Well here we are at Week 10! That was quick, wasn’t it?

Remember, you have a variety of ways you can complete your Homework:

• edit it on the document
  • create a word or pages document on your iPad and write your answers on the document
  • print it out at home or here at school and write your answers on the page
  • ask me to print it for you at school
  • I’m happy to receive hard copies or emailed documents

Come and talk to me if you are having any problems with any part of it. It’s due in on Friday, which is the last day of this term.

Wk 10 Homework

Week 9, 22nd – 29th March

This week we are following on from our work in Biological Science as we continue to look at ‘Living Things’. There is not quite as much as last week and we can hopefully offer some time in class through the week to look at the Animal Adaptations activity on Page 21. Just like last week, there are lots of new and unfamiliar words. Challenge yourself!! Be prepared to read things more than once!! Open the link below to get started.

Animal adaptations

Week 8, 15th – 22nd March

This week’s Homework has been given to you as a booklet, it’s about animals and their life cycles. As well as working on it at home, please bring it to school every day, as we’ll work on some of it during class time.

Week 7, 8th March – 15th March

This week I’ve gone for some Maths Mentals for your Homework. Remember that I’m trying to reduce the amount of paper that I give you, so please try to answer these into a Word or Pages document on your iPad. I’m still happy to give you a printed copy if you ask me for one. Click on the link below to get started, then scroll down past the photo of our very own busy little bees for some more information.

Homework Week 7

I’ve also included a couple of pages for you to read about ‘insects’. If you can read through the pages ‘What is an insect?’ it will give you a good start when we begin our Science activities on Monday.

What is an insect?

Week 6, 1st March – 8th March

Ok, something a little bit different this week. I would like us to start to have a look at some 2-D and 3-D shapes. If you need any coloured paper from school you can collect it on Tuesday. Click on the link below to get started.

Mitchell’s Quilt

Week 5, 22nd Feb – 1st March

Remember that (weather permitting) we have swimming again on Monday.

Homework Week 5

Week 4, 15th – 22nd February

Homework Wk 4

• You could also work on your ‘Buddy Script’ over the weekend. Double check which day you are on!!
  • Remember that it’s Swimming again on Monday.

Week 3, 8th – 15th February.

Homework Week 3

Don’t forget that we have our first swimming lesson on Monday, bring togs, towel, swimming cap, sunshirt. It’s also a Sports Uniform day, because we have PE on a Monday now.

Week 2, 1st – 8th February.

1. You have some Maths and some English work to complete this week. Click on the link below to get to the Homework activities. Please note that the ‘Class Spelling’ comes from ‘List 1’.

Week 2 Homework

• We’re trying to cut down considerably on the amount of paper we use here at school, so please have a think about how you are going to complete your Homework.
  • You have some options here:
  • ~ create a Word Document on your iPad, write your answers on the document and email it to me.
  • ~ write the answers into an exercise book or on one of the note pads we have in the classroom. If you would like a ‘Homework Book’ I will provide one for you.
  • ~ print off the pages at home and write the answers on the printed pages
  • ~ ask me to print the pages out for you (that’s my least favourite option)
  • If you need help with your Homework, please come and see me through the week. (Not on Friday!!!)
  • We’ll be having a spelling test every second week, so it’s important that you practise your spelling words as well. Why not write these out a few times in your exercise book? Or ask a parent or a sibling to test you on them?
  • Our Library borrowing and returning will happen on a Friday. Do you have a Library bag? We’ll try and fit in an early borrowing session in Week 2, then continue on Fridays after that.

iPad expectations.

• Don’t take photographs of anyone.
  • Don’t add any apps, including iTunes.

And, remember that you need to spend some time reading every night.